Fresh Sausage Recipe for Ground Pork
- 7 lbs lean meat
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean pork butt
- 1 1/2 lbs. pork fat, or 10 lbs. of Ground Pork Butt
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons white pepper
- 3 1/2 teaspoons sage, ground
- 2 1/2 teaspoons thyme, ground
- 2 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed red chili peppers ground
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flavor binder 86, or 1/2 cup non-fat-dry milk
Combine ground pork with ingredients; mix/knead well.
Taste test by frying a small quarter-size patty to see if you approve of the flavor as is. Make changes if needed. Shape sausage mixture into patties or use bulk style.
Cook, fry, bake or broil just as you would any fresh pork sausage.
For Hot Country Sausage follow the above recipe, use 1 1/2 tablespoons crushed red chili peppers ground, more if you like it hotter.
Smoking: add 2 teaspoons curing salt to the ground pork/seasoning mixture before stuffing into casings (prepared 33-36MM hog casings).
Stuffing: Carefully stuff the sausage mixture into the casing, filling the casing snugly but not so tight it will burst open during the linking process.
Form sausage links by pressing the filled casing gently with your forefinger and thumb and twist four or five times in one direction, repeat and twist in the opposite direction.